At EHM Senior Solutions, our core purpose is to be a faith-based organization, called to provide quality care with compassion to our residents and clients we serve. Our core values and mission statement support this purpose.
It is the mission of the EHM Senior Solutions, a health and human service ministry related to the United Church of Christ, to provide health and housing services to persons who are elderly in a manner which respects their rights, dignity and worth as children of God and to render those services with compassion and patience in accordance with the highest professional and ethical standards.
Our values define us
- Faithfulness to the spirit, heritage and traditions of the Christian community;
- Treating all individuals with fairness, respect and dignity;
- The just use of human, material and spiritual resources;
- Quality and compassion in all we do;
- Advocating for those in need.
The Zoar Society was formed in 1879
The Zoar Home was built in 1882
In 1945 the organization moves to a new building in Detroit
The Saline facility opened in 1977
Sterling Heights center opened in 1987
Brecon Village opened in 1999
The Center for Innovation and Education
Evangelical Homes of MI becomes EHM Senior Solutions
A history over a century in the making
- In 1879, Pastor Wilhelm Hansen, Mr. George Welz, Mr. Ludwig Harks, and his wife, Mrs. Henriette Harks, established the Zoar Society to meet the needs of orphaned children and the aging. The organization was first known as “Zoar Homes.”
- In 1882, the organization built its first home, Talitha Cumi, on Harvey Street in Detroit to house orphaned children. In 1886, the second home, Tabea, was also built on Harvey Street and housed the elderly. The third home erected by the original Zoar Society was completed in 1888 as the first home for girls.
- At the turn of the 18th century, in 1894, Zoar Homes was changed to “The German Protestant Homes for Orphans and Old People,” while the organization’s name was not changed to reflect this until 1944.
- In 1905, a new, expanded facility on Detroit’s West Grand Boulevard is dedicated. Forty-two years later, the facility moved to its W. Outer Drive location on land donated by Litta Matthaei and her brother, Frederick C. Matthaei.
- In just a decade’s time, renovations to the Detroit location followed. Four cottages – Hope, Faith, Zoar, and Charity – were built behind the Evangelical Home Detroit for dependent children, and the existing facility is renovated for care of the elderly. Following quickly behind the renovation, in 1863, a modern nursing unit was added.
- More changes to the organization came about in 1971 with the development of a program for 36 individuals with developmental disabilities, replacing the dependent children’s hospital. And that growth continued with the 1974 dedication of the Saline Evangelical Homes of Michigan location and the quick addition of 61 beds to its nursing unit and 28-room home for the elderly to the Saline facility in 1977
- Further expansion of Evangelical Homes of Michigan followed with the dedication of its Port Huron location in 1981, Sterling Heights facility in 1987, and three federally subsidized apartment complexes for seniors, in Saline in 1990 and Detroit in 1992 and 1996.
- The following year, in 1997, the Sterling Heights branch opened Pathways Transitioncare, a 19-bed post acute unit including the addition of a 2,600 square foot therapeutic rehabilitation facility.
- Brecon Village, a continuing care retirement community including 36 condominiums, 76 independent living apartments, and 32 assisted living apartments, opened just two years later in Saline, transferring all Evangelical Homes of Michigan Saline services to the new facility.
- Also in 1999, Executive Director Dr. Lowell Shrupp retired after 30 years of service and Ms. Denise Rabidoux is appointed his successor.
- Development of the Saline locations continued, as the 20th century closed, with the move of Play and Learn Children’s Place; providing an intergenerational program giving children and seniors the opportunity to “play and learn” together.
- In 2007, Shared Care Services is launched, providing private-duty homecare for the Washtenaw County region, a comprehensive interior and exterior renovation of the Sterling Heights location was completed, and the Port Huron location is sold to MediLodge: all proceeds of the sale benefitting the Spiritual Care and Volunteer Life endowment.
- The Memory Support Center of Brecon Village Campus in Saline opened its doors in 2009, featuring a variety of services and innovative living spaces designed to help residents and their loved ones through the many stages of memory loss.
- The LifeChoices and LifeChoice Solutions Programs were launched in 2010. As the first of its kind in Michigan, the innovative Evangelical Homes of Michigan program provides a range of services and support to help members maintain their independence and remain in their homes.
- In 2012, The Redies Center for Rehabilitation and Healthy Living opens.
- Shared Services Home Health Care – Monroe opens in 2014.
- In 2016, Evangelical Homes purchases the former Saline Community Hospital which will be developed as The Center for Innovation and Education.
- Evangelical Homes also purchased a 31-acre site in Oakland County, formerly the Sarah Fisher Home, which will eventually be developed for retirement living and services.
- Evangelical Homes of Michigan Foundation is formed to increase philanthropic support of charitable care, Safe-at-Home services, capital improvements, and community education.
- Evangelical Homes of Michigan changes its name to EHM Senior Solutions, to reflect the broader array of services that are available to serve clients living in their own homes.