How To Avoid The Flu

I have been traveling and meeting people from all over the country this past week and have come face-to-face with a startling fact: the entire country is dealing with flu fear.  I see anti-bacteria soap dispensers in every meeting room and literature about the closest vaccine source all around.  Colds are a leading cause of doctor visits and missed days from work and school, and this season is no exception. Americans suffer from approximately 1 billion colds per year, or about two to four colds per year for the average adult.

But why do people start getting sick as the leaves start to fall?

According to the CBS News study, when you come down with chills, fever, cough, runny nose, malaise and all those other “flu-like” symptoms, the illness is likely caused by influenza at most, 17 percent of the time, and as little as 3 percent! The other 83 to 97 percent of the time it’s caused by other viruses or bacteria. So remember that not every illness that appears to be the flu, actually IS the flu. In fact, most of the time it’s not.

Nevertheless, as temperatures drop, we begin to congregate indoors and spend less time in the sun. This means our vitamin D levels begin to drop, and we are more apt to spread viruses from one person to another.

It isn’t that these opportunistic pathogens magically appear at certain times of the year—they’re always around. It’s your ability to respond to them that changes with the seasons.

Many people believe that colds and flu are caused by bacteria, but this is simply incorrect. Colds and flu are caused by viruses.

Read this link for a doctors suggestion for his cause of the flu His suggestions to combat the major causes are: 1.  Get more Vitamin D 2. Eat less sugar 3. get more exercise 4. get more sleep The medical support for each of these are well documented and all revolve around the concept of impaired immune system.  As I prepare to leave the relative chilly (60 degrees) sub-tropics to re-enter the 19 degree sub-arctic Michigan weather, I want to encourage you to proactively boost your immune system and not to fall prey to the thought that winter just means “the flu is coming”.

2018-03-21T20:08:22+00:00 Blog, Health & Wellness, Uncategorized|