Heel pain is usually (but not always) caused by activities that continually pound the heel. Such injuries include Achilles tendinitis and plantar fasciitis. Whatever the cause, these suggestions from the U.S. National Library of Medicine may help ease your heel pain:
- Consult your physician
- Rest your feet for at least a week.
- Apply ice to the sore heel, twice a day for about 10 or 15 minutes at a time.
- Take over-the-counter medication, such as Ibuprofen to ease inflammation and pain.
- Wear shoes that fit correctly.
- Place an orthotic, heel cup or felt padding in the heel of your shoe.
- Work with a physical therapist to help prevent the injury from recurring.